Social media started as sites where we could make virtual connections with family and friends. With time, their potential for business growth became apparent. The time we spend on these platforms keeps growing, so it makes sense to market your brand on them. Given all the options at your disposal, which as the most viable websites for implementing social media marketing strategies?
The 7 largest platforms for social media marketing
It goes without saying that the bigger a website is, the more attractive it becomes as a marketing solution. Other than traffic, these platforms also try to increase the average amount of time you spend on a daily basis. The most prominent ones are:
Facebook’s over 2.6 billion monthly active users (MAUs) make it the largest social media company in the world. Did you know that over 60% of these users interact with the Facebook page of a local business at least once a week? You’re losing lots of sales if you’re not using it for marketing. The platform’s flexibility allows you to post several types of content. Other than a regular text-based post, you can incorporate images, vidoes, polls, links, and stories.
The comment section also allows your cutomers or fans to give feedback through reactions, shares, and comments. This interaction makes it easier to figure out which types of products and services work best for your brand.
Facebook ads are more affordable and effective than most alternatives. You can reach thousands of potential clients for as little as $1 per day. The company’s huge user database also allows you to conduct accurate, highly effective social media marketing campaigns.
You can specify your target audience by demographics such as age, gender, geolocation, education, religion, language, relationship status, and interests. Such accuracy means you can optimize your budget to reach the most desired clients at the lowest possible budget.
Facebook also allows you to tweak your marketing campaign towards diverse objectives. They include getting more likes for your page, creating awareness about a cause, and sending new users to your website. You can also do AB split testing to determine which particular ad converts best.
You’re probably confused about whether YouTube is a true social media site. Although it’s primarily a video streaming platform, it allows social interactions between its influencers and users. It’s also the world’s second largest search engine after its parent company Google. These statistics make it a marketing tool you can’t ignore.
The first step in YouTube SMM is to create a business channel. Research shows that video converts better than text and other types of content. One way of maximizing your reach is by creating YouTube videos about your blog posts. Other than gaining you new followers, it’s also a potentially lucrative revenue stream. If you sell a product or service, your viewers are more likely to buy it after watching you explain how it works. You can also post links to your ecommerce site, affiliate products, and social media profiles.
YouTube ads are another form of social media marketing. The site’s powerful algorithm allows you to advertise your brand accurately to the demographics of your choice. If this option sounds too expensive, you can approach other influencers in your niche for collaborations that will grow both of your brands.
3. Instagram social media marketing
With more than a billion monthly active users, Facebook-owned Instagram is another valuable SMM platform. It’s unique for its emphasis on images. As the old saying goes, a picture speaks a thousand words. You only need carefully selected photos of your products and thoughtful captions to increase your reach.
Useful Instagram marketing tips
- Use an Instagram for Business profile to access all the benefits of brand marketing.
- Use free tools such as Insights to understand your current and potential followers. Such tools allow you to understand demographics such as their age, gender, active hours, and location. They also give you statistics that show you how well individual posts perform.
- Don’t be too salesy. Find a balance between marketing your product and offering genuinely useful content to your followers. You’ll lose a large fanbase, and future sales, if every post tries to force them to spend money.
- Don’t post too many times, or your fans might get turned off. A good schedule is more than one to three posts per day.
- Take advantage of Instagram Stories. They appear at the top of users’ feeds, where they’re more likely to view them and interact with your brand.
- Collaborate with influencers in your niche to further market your brand.
- Encourage user-submitted content from happy customers who’ve already bought your goods or services. This strategy makes your work easier because you don’t always have to look for new pictures and videos. In return, you can tag the user whose content you post.
- Create catchy hashtags that other Instagram users can share. If it goes viral, you’ll have hundreds or thousands of posts associating with your brand.
- Include a link to your website on your Instagram business profile, and analyze how many click-throughs you receive.
- Pay for sponsored ads, which you can tweak to reach the exact demographic you’re interested in.
Benefits of crossposting
One benefit of Facebook owning Instagram is that it’s easy to crosspost. You can create a post on one site and have it appear on the other. Even though most Instagram users also have a Facebook account, a cummulative user base of over 3.6 billion is too tempting to ignore.
As the new kid on the block, TikTok still has some way to go before becoming a social media marketing powerhouse. Nevertheless, it already has 800 million active users worldwide. While most people assume it’s a platform for teenagers to post prank and dance challenges, a lot of influencers have noticed its potential. So promising is the app that SMM pro Gary Vee can’t stop talking about it.
One advantage of joining a platform while it’s still young is that your brand can grow with it. Its advertising and other marketing solutions will also be affordable because large corporations haven’t joined yet. Even if you don’t see a clear marketing strategy on TikTok, join and study it. You’ll have an accurate grasp of the younger generation’s tastes and preferences. You can also create connections with its influencers and explore marketing opportunities.
5. Pinterest for social media marketing
This platform is perfect for discovering and curating visual ideas on several topics. They include fashion, food, cars, woodworking, DIY, and home decor. Although the overwhelming majority of Pinterest’s users are women, it still has over 300 million monthly active users you can count on for ideas. Other than the personal profile, you can sign up for a business account for added perks.
Since pinterest is a visual platform, you can pin up to 30 times in the course of the day. Just ensure you spread your pins because doing so at once is considered spamming. Other social media marketing tips on Pinterest include:
- Engaging with followers by replying to their comments.
- Commenting on your followers’ and other users’ pins.
- Studying and mimicking the strategies of popular boards.
- Engage and collaborate with influencers in your niche.
- Add a link to your website.
- Remain fresh posting pins that are relevant to the season or trends.
- Use Pinterest Analytics to analyze your metrics and change strategy where necessary.
Twitter is the perfect network for discovering breaking news. Other than the people and brands you follow, you also keep up with trends through its popular hashtags. It allows you to engage your followers, boost brand awareness, and increase conversions. A twitter-focused SMM strategy involves understanding your target audience, having unique content, scheduling your posts, and analyzing the results.
Other tips include posting your website URL in the profile and spending on promoted tweets or Twitter Ads. Apply to Twitter for a verified account, which increases your authenticity. Tag Twitter influencers when it makes sense, as well as using trending hashtags in your tweets. Have a content creation schedule and stick to it. Consistency is the key to growth in social media.
Your audience engages more with Tweets that have images and videos. Once in a while, ask for your followers’ opinions on your brand, and incorporate those insights into your social media marketing campaigns.
Unlike most entries on this list, LinkedIn places a huge emphasis on B2B interactions. This network has a huge number of professionals and companies that can help you achieve your SMM objectives. Through it, you can hire all the experts you need, as well as contract advertising, social media marketing, and content creation firms.
You can boost your brand through LinkedIn in the following ways:
- State the skills you offer on your profile page instead of focusing on your resume. Include links to your website.
- Create a company page for a more professional image of your organization.
- Share practical, actionable content. The LinkedIn crowd is more educated and focused on the professional aspect of their lives.
- Search for prospects using LinkedIn’s powerful filtering tools. You can find the right candidate by specifying their location, education level, profession, and other demographics.
- Join relevant LinkedIn Groups in your niche and create networking opportunities. You can also create a group.
- Follow the social network’s marketing blog for tips on how to grow professionally.
- Use LinkedIn’s effective paid advertising solutions to reach a larger market.
Other useful platforms
Snapchat is a social media app that’s comparable to Instagram. It’s suitable if you want to market to teens and yound adults. Most messaging apps have social networking features. With more than 2 billion users, Facebook-owned Whatsapp allows you to create marketing groups and affordably communicate with a global audience. You can also conveniently share photos, videos, links and other types of content with several potential customers.
Other than the main app, there’s Whatsapp Business for online marketers. Alternatives to Whatsapp include Telegram, Messenger, and Viber.
With so many social media marketing platforms to consider, you can feel a bit overwhelmed. Start with at least three that are most relevant to your niche, then crosslink to more. There are some general tips that work well for all these sites. They include creating quality content, posting consistently, and acting on feedback from your followers. Once you master these basics, your brand awareness will take off like a rocket ship and result in strong sales.